Gingerbread White Chocolate Blondies #fbcookieswapPosted: December 12, 2012 | |
I have been part of cookie exchanges every year for at least the last 5 years but this is my first year doing an International Cookie Exchange! I took part in the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap this year. Essentially everyone that takes part is matched with 3 bloggers within their country and then they ship one dozen cookies to each of their matches. In turn, you get one dozen cookies from three bloggers that had you as a match. So essentially a huge cookie exchange! I think there were over 600 bloggers involved this year!
I had been looking at this recipe for years – literally! I thought it sounded like an interesting combination but I kept not making it. Finally I did in October and I LOVED it! Gingerbread and white chocolate are perfect together. I don’t know why more sweets don’t use this combination. There is something about the spicy gingerbread that pairs perfectly with the creamy sweetness of the white chocolate. I have now made two other desserts using this combination as well as making this recipe again! And I knew it kept quite well and didn’t crumble so I figured it should work well for an across Canada trek!
The blondies are the perfect chewy texture that is expected of blondies. (For those unfamiliar with blondies, they are essentially brownies without the chocolate – so expect the dense, chewy texture of brownies!) And like I said, the flavour combination is amazing. So in other words, everyone should make these a regular on their “cookie baking list”. It is definitely on mine. And I don’t mean just for Christmas!
Gingerbread White Chocolate Blondies
- 2 3/4 cup plus 1 Tb flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/4 cup butter, room temp
- 1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tb white sugar
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 to 3 cups chopped white chocolate
- Line a 12 by 17inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350°
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and spices in a bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a regular bowl and use a hand mixer), beat butter and sugars until creamy and pale, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and yolk one at a time. Add the vanilla and molasses and beat until well combined.
- Add the flour mix slowly on low speed until mixed. Stir in the white chocolate.
- Spread batter in the prepared pan and bake about 25 minutes – the edges should look slightly cracked and golden.
- Allow to cool and then cut!
I found these fun boxes at Winners and they worked perfectly for 12 of the blondies! I hope they shipped ok! The recipe says that the blondies can be stored, air-tight, for up to 1 week at room temperature.