Chocolate-dipped Rolled Sugar CookiesPosted: February 13, 2012 | |
Well it is time for the Hallmark-made holiday! Valentine’s Day yet again, or as I like to call it – Single’s Night at the Gym! I realize that there are many people who don’t celebrate V-day that are in committed relationships still at the gym on Feb 14 but I like to believe it is single’s night. And if it isn’t, why aren’t there single’s nights at the gym??
When I switched from an all women’s gym to a co-ed gym I thought that I would have more opportunities to meet people but instead I think the guys just get more annoyed because I use their equipment rather than staying on the women’s-only side. (They don’t realize that not only do we not have a proper power/squat rack but our free weights only go up to 30lbs.) So for ‘freaks’ like me that like to lift heavy, we are ‘stuck’ sharing the equipment with the meatheads or the groups of guys that seem to spend more time gossiping than actually working out. There are of course some that don’t fall in either of those categories but I just assume they also don’t fall into the ‘single’ category either so then my time spent in their area of the gym goes to waste for meeting purposes (of course it isn’t wasted entirely – I still get a great workout!)
Anyways, back to these cookies. I have made these cookies for years any time that I have wanted cutout cookies and the recipe always works out. They are soft and buttery and tasty without being overly sweet. It comes from allrecipes.com and it is simply called “The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies” and that it is!
Rolled Sugar Cookies (from allrecipes)
- 3/4 cup butter, room temp
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In the bowl of a mixer (or with a hand mixer) beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Bead in eggs, one at a time, and then the vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl and then add this to the butter/sugar/eggs mix.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refridgerate at least one hour or overnight
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough out on a WELL-FLOURED surface to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut with desired cookie cutters and place on prepared baking sheets. Reroll dough when necessary.
- Bake 6-8 min (careful – if they are thin they will cook fast). Cool a few minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, you can either dip them in melted chocolate as I did or you could decorate them with royal icing or you could just eat them plain!