Pumpkin Snack Cake (Sugar free, wheat free & dairy free)Posted: November 2, 2011
Finally I am posting a pumpkin recipe! I feel so behind on the times! I love baking with pumpkin too so I had been looking forward to getting to pumpkin tasting things once fall hit but then… well this was the first one I made! Actually I made this the same day that I made pumpkin scones. I wasn’t as thrilled with the scone recipe as I previously had been though so I won’t post that recipe yet (I wouldn’t want to post an inferior recipe!)
This pumpkin snack cake was actually supposed to be pumpkin cookies. That is what the recipe said anyways! But I adapted it to something that my friend could eat – wheat free, sugar free and dairy free. So somehow in that (maybe changing the sugar to honey?), the texture was altered enough that I realized it was definitely cake batter, not cookie dough! Therefore, I poured it in a 8×8″ pan and baked it and it came out perfect! Nice and moist and excellent! I think you could probably reduce the amount of honey in it a little more but for the most part, I would say it was great!
Pumpkin Snack Cake – Sugar free, wheat free & dairy free
NOTE: I used Spelt Flour here but you can instead just use regular whole wheat and white flour
2/3 cup light Spelt flour
- 2/3 cup whole Spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup canned unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8″ square pan.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in one bowl (flours up to the end of the spices).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients (eggs to molasses).
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Don’t overmix, just make sure that there is no clumps.
- Bake 15- 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (I am not completely positive that I have the correct time on here… I forgot to make a note to myself!)
- Allow to cool completely in pan.