Amazingly Delicious Chewy Chocolate Chip CookiesPosted: July 13, 2011 | |
Have you heard of such a thing as someone that hasn’t ever eaten cookie dough or cake batter? Seems like insanity to me but I recently found out that a friend, and a frequent baker, actually fell into this category. I could not believe it. I really couldn’t. How could someone bake regularly and never even taste the pre-baked goodness? Apparently her mother had told her that the raw eggs would make her sick “and she would die”. Now this seems fair to believe when you are a child, but as an adult? My mom had told me that it would give me worms… I never believed her as I saw her frequently dip into the bowl herself but that was the claim. I personally think that eating the batter/dough is one of my favourite parts of baking! So in comes these cookies…
The first time, I made them was for two reasons, oh actually three! One was because I missed baking cookies! I have been making so many cakes/cupcakes/whoopie pies lately but it has been so long since I last made cookies and even longer since I made Chocolate Chip Cookies. The second was because I felt like my friend needed to try cookie dough and her birthday was coming (what better than cookie dough for a birthday gift??). And finally, I wanted to take these with me for my mom and I to share while at my brother’s place. I meant to actually share them with everyone at my brother’s but my mom and I may have gotten a little carried away with eating them…
So I had to try these twice before proclaiming them amazing! The first time I made them was for the above reasons and since my mom has a wheat sensitivity, I made them with spelt flour. I had read about this recipe on two different blogs (one linked to the other) and every comment on there described them as “The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie” so I was disappointed when they came out crisp and crunchy. They were still delicious and chocolate-y and like I said, my mom and I still devoured them but they weren’t what I was looking for. (I also didn’t melt my butter the first time – I thought softened should be good enough but I won’t try that again!)
I had to try again! If everyone else thought they were so amazing, I figured that with regular flour, they must be better! And oh was I glad I made them again! I shared most of the batch but LOVED the ones I kept for myself. I added some Skor bits to the batter this time but there is no reason it is required! I hope you enjoy them as much as I did! I will be making these regularly!
Amazingly Delicious Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups plus 2 tbsp. flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled until warm
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Skor/Heath (optional – you could also add any nuts, coconut, peanut butter cups etc of your choice!)
- Preheat oven 325°. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda & salt).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer (or by hand I suppose!), beat butter and sugars well. Add egg, yolk, and vanilla and beat well.
- Add dry ingredients and beat on low speed until combined. Stir in chocolate chips & any additional things you are adding! Eat some dough – it is definitely required! The cookies will fail otherwise!
- Scoop, or spoon if you are not fortunate enough to have a fabulous cookie scoop, cookies onto prepared sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until the cookies look baked on the top. I find that they didn’t get very dark but the tops lost their “dough-like” appearance. It is better to underbake than overbake!
- Cool the cookies on the sheet about 5 minutes before moving them to a rack to cool completely.