Strawberry Shortcake Plus Ice Cream CupcakesPosted: June 14, 2011
Part of the reason I wanted to start a dessert blog was because I kept
coming across these contests and fun activities that different blogs do together and I wanted to participate! So this is my first one! I am pretty excited although looking at the competition (see the Cupcake Project’s Facebook page for other cupcakes!), I am realizing just how serious some of these bloggers are! There are some great creations out there and I am looking forward to browsing through more! The idea of the contest is to combine a great cupcake with ice cream in some way. So here is my cupcake!
The cupcakes I made are Strawberry Cupcakes based on a recipe from Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes cookbook. I have made them before but I forgot just how delicious they are!
The ice cream was store bought (I dream of the day I own the ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid but I also know how dangerous it would be for me! I love ice cream!) and was a white chocolate and dark chocolate swirl one. I decided to put two layers of ice cream in the middle for extra fun! On top, there is a layer of strawberry cream cheese icing and then some scraggly vanilla buttercream to finish it off. Of course a few sprinkles on top round it out! The recipes for the cupcakes and cream cheese filling are below!
- 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tb baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, room temp
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 large eggs plus 1 egg white
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups finely chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cupcake pans or line with papers.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the stand of a mixer, beat butter, add in sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy and pale. Add eggs and the egg white one at a time.
- Reduce speed to low and add half the flour, then the milk, then the rest of the flour.
- Carefully fold in chopped strawberries.
- Scoop into prepared pans.
- (The ones not receiving the ice cream treatment actually were stuffed with a cheesecake like filling in them: I made a dent in them and then scooped in the filling – this I made by beating together 4 oz cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/4 cup sugar, 2-3 Tb sour cream – and baked the same.)
- Bake 25-30 min or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool 30 min before transferring them to a cooling rack and to cool completely.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups icing/confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped