Chocolate Peppermint Patty Brownie CupcakesPosted: June 8, 2011
First of all, I just have a couple comments to make about chocolate and mint together. Recently, my friend Courteney (co-blogger on my other blog site Let’s Make Whoopie) made Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Mint Filling. After tasting them, I had to admit I didn’t love them. Here is the thing: although I thought the cookies were excellent, I am quite picky about the combo of chocolate and mint. Sometimes I like it, and sometimes it isn’t really my thing. I don’t like chocolate mint ice cream but I love After Eights. I love this chocolate mint truffle cake that I make sometimes at Christmas but I would never think to order something like that from a restaurant because I don’t think I would like it. So the Whoopie Pies: they were just so-so because the mint-chocolate combo wasn’t quite right for me. I am not sure if it is the ratio, the type of mint or just what it is that I don’t like about it sometimes but there is something. I tried to explain this to Courteney but she just thought I was crazy! Here’s something else: I am NOT the only one! I have encountered at least 3 others since the Whoopie Pie trial!!
Anyways, I felt like I needed to add that before introducing this flavour! Chocolate Mint Peppermint Patty Cupcakes! I think this is even one of the first things I have baked since the Whoopie Pies so it is sort of ironic that I made them! There was a reason I had to make them though: back in February, I bought a bag of York Peppermint patties that were on sale with intentions of making these. That was obviously months ago now. Then about 2 weeks ago a friend at work was clearing out her cupboards and came across a bag of the mini ones. She was going to leave them out at work for people to help themselves since she didn’t really like them (they really aren’t the same) but I nabbed them to make these cupcakes with instead! Of course I promised her a few to try!
This is a a much loved recipe that has been made several times by both me and a friend of mine. It is almost directly from the Martha Stewart Cupcakes cookbook except for a couple minor changes. I like to make both the full sized and the mini-cupcakes. The mini’s are a more manageable size but the full size ones are so much tastier! There is something about the full sized ones that makes them so much better! They are a chewier texture because they have a full peppermint patty in side! Mmm… delicious.
Ok, one more comment before the recipe. I have discovered the best baking chocolate at Trader Joe’s. Instead of squares of chocolate they are discs! They melt perfectly and taste delicious.
Alright, now on to the recipe! Here it is:
Chocolate Peppermint Patty Brownie Cupcakes
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- either 12 large chocolate covered peppermint patties or a mix of large and small ones
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease muffin tins very well! I don’t like usingthe paper liners as I find that they stick really badly. They usually do either 12-15 regular sized cupcakes or 24-30 minis – or a 6 large and
18 minis as I did this time!
- Melt butter and chocolate together in a medium sized bowl in the microwave (I like to do it at about a level 6 or 7 until it melts smoothly – stir every 30 seconds).
- Whisk sugar and salt into chocolate/butter mixture until smooth. Whisk in eggs and then flour and cocoa just until smooth – don’t overmix it!
- Spoon a small scoop of batter into the bottom of the pans – this should be equal to about half of the portion that will end up the whole cupcake. For the minis, I fill them about halfway at this point. For the big ones, I fill them maybe 1/3 of the cup.
- Place 1 peppermint patty (a large in each big cupcake or a small in the minis) into each cup. Spoon the rest of the batter over the top.
- Bake about 20-25 min.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan before removing cupcakes. I chopped up some extra peppermint patties and sprinkled them on the top while the cupcakes were still warm.
- Enjoy! Too bad I forgot to take a picture of what the inside looks like!